Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Polymer clay christmas decoration - Tutorial

Hi, I have made some polymer clay christmas decorations,as my DT pieces for, this weeks Winter Wonderland challenge. I thought that I would show you what I did to make them. This is my first attempt at a tutorial so please forgive the photography and language if it is a bit basic.

Firstly I took two slices of white clay. I rolled it between my palms to soften the clay. I then took an acrylic roller and rolled the clay on some baking paper until it was about 4-6mm thick. I use an acrylic roller and baking paper as this stops the clay sticking. If you want you can use a pasta machine it gives a really good finish. However do not use the one you use in your kitchen as polymer clay is not to be eaten in any way.


As you can see it is now flat. You need to cut out a circle. You can use a biscuit cutter ( do not use for food after use with clay ), a template anything you normally use to cut a circle.



As you can see I used my fiskars shape board to cut out my circle. I pressed the shape I wanted over the clay and then I cut it with scissors



Ink up your stamp with ink and then stamp onto your cut out circle. I used gorjuss girls for my decorations but you could use christmas images it is your choice entirely.



This is what the clay looks like once it is stamped.



I then stamped around the edges with a basic grey swirl stamp and a polymer texture stamp. You can add versamark clear ink to stop the clay sticking.



The clay is now ready to bake in the oven. I cook mine on a baking tray that I do not use for cooking and I cook it for about 20 mins at the temprature suggested by the clay manufacturer
Okay once the clay is cooled down you can add your colour. I used a mixture of copics and promarkers as seen below to colour my piece. Let each colour dry as you don't want them to bleed. As they contain alcohol they dry fairly quickly and they give a nice shine to the piece. I used this rather festive colour combination.



I also coloured the sides and the back of the piece with my metallic gold promarker.
Here they are the finishing touches a red ribbon and an eyelet.

10 comments:

Teri said...

Pascale, these are fab! I've seen beautiful things made with this clay before, but it's always looked like it was so complicated to use and I've shied away from it. I thought you would need special tools and paints etc.

I love your decorations and am going to give it a go myself .... maybe the kids will try it too :o)

Teri xx

Kim Dellow said...

Fantastic! I love this to bits and will definately have a go. Thank you for the tutorial Pascale. Kimx

Lynda said...

Oh WOW Pascale these are so so lovely and thanks for the excellent tutorial. I'll have to pop straight over the Winter Wonderland now to see what's going on!

Love Lynda xxx

Lorraine A said...

Oohh lovely creations Pascale ,,, I've had some clay in a drawer for months ,,, hope it's not completely dried out ! Will give this a go :-)

Fab tutorial :-) Thanks so much x x

Lorraine x x

Teri said...

Hiya,
Thanks for the Tute. Might give it a go myself at Xmas, and get the kids involved too!
Lovely!
Hugs,
Teri S
x

Anne said...

Gasp!! This is fantastic Pascale!! I didn't realise you'd coloured them with markers! I love them, and your tutorial is brilliant!! I'm off to try it out for myself now - watch this space!!!!

Victoria said...

Ooh Pascale, thanks for sharing how to make these. They're gorgeous and the tutorial is sooo easy to follow

Thanks lots
Victoria
x

Bev said...

What a brilliant tutorial hun, def going to give this a try x

Alkhymeia said...

Thank You, for your time and your crativity :)
Daniela \ Alkhymeia

Marimer said...

Gran tutorial, he dado casi por casualidad. Gracias, eres muy creativa.